Fort Worth Assault Lawyer
Defending Against Assault Charges Throughout Tarrant County, Texas
To assault someone is to cause them to fear harmful or offensive contact. When a person actually makes harmful or offensive contact, this is technically called “battery.” In different jurisdictions, the offense might be known as “assault and battery.” In Texas, assaultive crimes are defined in Chapter 22 of the Texas Penal Code. The general term "assault" can cover alleged conduct from bar fights to domestic violence to sexual assaults.
Assault is a violent crime that varies in severity depending on the circumstances of the incident. Whether you are facing minor misdemeanor assault charges or more severe aggravated assault charges, you can find peace of mind with Blake & Blake, LLP handling your criminal case. Our assault defense lawyers in Fort Worth maintain a sharp focus on building an airtight defense capable of withstanding the prosecution. We have decades of combined experience to put to work for you.
What is Considered Assault in Texas?
Some of the most common charges for assault offenses in Fort Worth, Texas, include:
- Sexual assault
- Aggravated assault
- Injury to a child, elderly individual, or disabled individual
- Deadly conduct
- Terroristic threat
- Leaving a child in a vehicle
- Continuous violence against a family member
As with any criminal charge, the state has the burden to prove every element of an assault offense beyond a reasonable doubt. If you are facing assault charges, you need a trusted criminal defense lawyer on your side who can hold the prosecution accountable for proving their case.
Types of Assault Charges in Texas
Assault charges range from class C misdemeanors to first-degree felonies depending on the alleged conduct, the victim’s injuries, and whether a deadly weapon was used. In addition to punishments like fines and jail time, an assault conviction can carry substantial collateral consequences. For example, assault can be considered a crime of moral turpitude, which can make it difficult to get a job or a state license. Additionally, federal laws limit the rights of people convicted of domestic violence. The Texas Code of Criminal Procedure also defines many types of assault as “3G” offenses for which harsher sentences are imposed.
Possible Defenses Against Assault Charges
Here are a few possible defenses that could be presented in an assault case:
- Self-defense: If you were acting in self-defense, you might argue that you reasonably believed you were in immediate danger of being harmed.
- Defense of others: Similar to self-defense, if you reasonably believed that another individual was in immediate danger of being harmed, you may argue that you acted in order to protect them.
- Lack of intent: Assault charges generally require proof that the defendant had intentions to cause harm or acted recklessly. If you can indicate that there was no intention to cause harm or that your actions were not on purpose, it could potentially weaken the prosecution's case.
- Mistaken identity or false accusation: If you believe you have been falsely identified as the individual responsible for the assault or if you believe the alleged victim made false accusations against you, you can raise this as a defense.
Remember that the availability and the success of these defenses will greatly depend on the specifics surrounding the case. It's crucial to consult with an assault attorney from Blake & Blake, LLP, who can assess your situation and provide legal guidance tailored to your case.
Contact Our Fort Worth Assault Attorney Today
Because of the violence – actual or threatened – inherent in any allegation of assault, prosecutors and judges take these cases very seriously. Allegations of assault are very case-specific, and the evidence often consists of conflicting witness statements. Do not talk to police or prosecutors if you’ve been arrested. Instead, discuss your situation with our Fort Worth assault defense lawyers at Blake & Blake, LLP.
Personalized Legal Representation
When You Call, You Talk to an Attorney
Experienced Legal Team at a Reasonable Price